Disclaimer: We are an IONOS affiliate and stand to get a small fee should you decide to sign up using our links.
Are you looking for a web host for your business? Were you attracted by IONOS’ $1 web hosting plan that floating all around the internet? We have previously used IONOS on behalf of our clients and can give you all of the information that you need to decide whether or not to go with IONOS. In this article, we are going to talk about;
Who is IONOS for?
IONOS, formerly 1&1, is a company that has been around for a while. It’s also one that you are bound to bump into in ads while browsing across the internet. So, who is IONOS for?
- IONOS is for those that wish to create basic websites. If this is what you are looking for, you can use their website builder to create a static website.
- Those that are looking for relatively affordable web hosting. “Relatively,” because, as we have found out, IONOS is only the cheapest for the first year.
- IONOS is great for small mom and pop operations.
- It’s good small businesses that only which to have an online presence.
Who is IONOS not for?
- Those whose sites draw lots of traffic.
- Heavy eCommerce businesses.
- People that need to have enterprise grade web hosting.
- Those that need to have complete control over their web hosting environments.
The IONOS pros
IONOS is one of the biggest web hosts that you will be able to find out there. One thing that we can say is that the company is very good at marketing. The aim appears to be to mop up the low levels of the web hosting arena. The following are some of IONOS’ pros;
- The company’s support is great. You get a personal consultant once you have signed up. This makes things easy, as far as getting your issues resolved is concerned.
- IONOS is affordable for the first year.
- Based on what we have been able to find out so far, IONOS’ performance is okay.
The IONOS cons
- It can take a few hours for the personal consultant to get back to you after an inquiry. You can, of course, simply pick up the phone and call.
- The website builder really sucks in terms of functionality as we point out below.
- The pricing is really a mirage. After the first year, you start paying $8/month for web hosting and $10 per month for the website builder. That is more than other web hosts. InterServer, as an example, charges a price of $5 per month for web hosting. This price, at InterServer, is locked for the life of your site.
- IONOS is not really for big businesses that are seriously looking for web hosting. It’s good enough for small players, but big companies should look elsewhere for their hosting.
This is something to which we have already alluded in the above discussion. IONOS offers $1 plans, which is as low as it gets as far as web hosting is concerned. However, one of the things that we are always telling our clients is that price should be the least of their concerns as far as web hosting is concerned.
IONOS’ pricing starts at $1 per month for most products. That includes Managed WordPress, Web Hosting and the Website Builder. However, this price model is clearly designed to lure people. After the first year, web hosting prices revert to $8 per month, for the lowest option. We have already made the comparison to InterServer, which is actually cheaper in the long run, in spite of the fact that it’s initial price is higher than IONOS.
IONOS’ Domains cost more!
With most web hosts, the domain is offered free of charge at the beginning. IONOS is no exception in this regard. However, after the first year, IONOS’ price for domain renewal tends to be higher than is the case with the competition.
On average domain renewal with hosts such as HostGator and InterServer stands at $12 per year. However, with IONOS, the figure stands at $15 per year.
Stay away from IONOS’ website builder (or any other website builder for that matter)!
One other thing that we need to say is, whatever you do, you need to stay the hell away from IONOS’ basic website plan. That’s the one that gets you a page builder. Simply put, you are not going to create anything serious using a page builder.
Indeed, this applies for all web hosts. One of our clients signed up for a page builder with IONOS. He expected to be able to install WordPress. However, the page builder is all that he got till he moved to another plan. So, whatever the host you are going to go for, make sure that you understand what you are going to be getting before signing up.
The IONOS offer
To Summarize, IONOS is a great web host for those that are looking to create ordinary websites for their businesses. Let’s face it, this is what the majority of people out there are looking for. A number of our clients use IONOS and we run their websites. To be frank, our clients have so far been satisfied with the service that they have been getting from IONOS.
If you are clear that IONOS is the best web host for you, don’t hesitate to sign up using the link below.
Disclaimer: We are an IONOS affiliate and may get a small fee should you decide to sign up using our link.