Disclaimer: We are a HostGator affiliate and may get a small commission if you sign up using our links . However, this article is objective and is based on real data from real customers!
Are you looking for a web host for yourself or your business? Have you been wondering whether or not HostGator is for you? In this article, we are going to answer the following questions;
- Who is HostGator for?
- Who is HostGator not for?
- Where does HostGator fall on the three tiers of web host?
- What are the HostGator pros and cons?
- Is HostGator Affordable?
- The HostGator Offer!
Who is HostGator for?
In the world of web hosting, no other name is mentioned more than HostGator. Based on data from former and current clients, we can safely say that HostGator is for;
- Small businesses and individuals who are simply looking to have an online presence.
- People who are not worried about the performance of their websites.
- Those whose sites are not complicated, such as one or two page websites.
- Companies and individuals whose sites do not receive a lot of traffic.
- Those that are looking to keep costs down.
Who is HostGator not for?
HostGator is one of the most marketed web hosts that can be found out there. But is it best for everyone? The answer is that HostGator is not really for you;
- If you are looking to create an eCommerce website
- If you are looking for speed and sophistication for your site.
- If you are a large business whose site gets lot of traffic.
The three tiers of web host
We have previously written an article in which we classify web hosting companies into three tiers. We mention in that article that these levels do not mean a company is not able to deliver. Instead, it has more to do with the level of sophistication of a web host.
Companies like AWS and Kinsta, which fall in the top tier, are really for the big guns, and their pricing reflects this. Companies like HostGator and GoDaddy, on the other hand, are more geared towards delivering for the mass market.
Don’t get us wrong; the bottom level companies really rock when it comes to providing services at their level. Lets assume, as an example, that you are a small mom and pop business. There would be no need for you to sign up with Kinsta or AWS when creating a website. Instead, it would be better for you to get web hosting services from HostGator.
HostGator comes with a number of advantages;
- It is one of the best hosts for small to medium scale businesses.
- HostGator is strong when it comes to domains.
- One of the things that sets HostGator apart from its competitors is its flexibility. All that you need too do to turn your site into almost anything is talk to the folks at HostGator.
- HostGator is also relatively good when it comes to support. Using them, you get the feeling that they are going the extra mile to keep you as a customer.
Like all the other web hosting companies out there, HostGator is not without its shortfalls;
- One of the major complaints when it comes to HostGator is that the company is given to upselling. This failing, it has to be said, is common among web hosts. Usually, advertised prizes fall far short of what you pay at the end of the day. That’s because there are always a number of extras that you are made to feel are indispensable to your site.
- Speed is another issue about which people have raised concerns when it comes to having their sites hosted with HostGator. While this may be of no concern to small businesses, speed becomes an issue for as your company grows.
Is HostGator affordable?
When it comes to pricing, HostGator is competitively placed; if you are willing to sign up for the long term hosting plans. As you can see in the above screenshot, HostGator’s plans currently start at $2.75 for those that are looking for Shared hosting options. However, there are some things that you need to take note of when it comes to the above quoted price;
- $2.75/m is only an introductory price. The actual price when you renew your plan is $7.95 per month.
- It has to be noted that this form of pricing is common among web hosts.
- You shouldn’t let yourself be enticed by the cheap hosting plans when choosing a host for your website. Rather, go for a plan that offers service, flexibility and support.
The HostGator offer
Disclaimer: As already mentioned, we are HostGator affiliates and can get a reward should you sign up with the company using the link below.
HostGator is a company that we recommend to those of our readers who are looking for an unsophisticated entry into the Digital world. If you are a small business or an individual who is on the hunt for an online presence, then you probably won’t go wrong with this company. So, don’t hesitate to sign up for the HostGator discount offer using the link below!